skip navigation

JV Game 5 | Eastlake @ Mount Si | 10/7/19

10/13/2019, 6:05pm PDT
By Steve Maule


The JV Wolves comeback fell short at Mount Si High School, falling to the Wildcats 27-14.

The first quarter started off with Noah Weintraub kicking off to the Wildcats. The defense came out fired up. Will Doran broke up a Mount Si pass on first down, Jackson Marley then came up big on second down followed by Scott Maule breaking up a pass to force a three and out.

After a quick three and out by the Eastlake offense, Mount Si put together a long, methodical drive only to see it stall at the Eastlake 25 as the Wolves defense stiffened. Eastlake took over on offense. At the end of the first quarter the game was scoreless.

A series of unfortunate events found the Wolves backed up to their own five-yard line facing a first down and 35 yards to go – right where they wanted to be. Parker Barrysmith then orchestrated a fantastic drive including back to back passes to Scott Maule and some tough running yards by Michael Lester to bring the Wolves to the Mount Si 22. Barrysmith completed a pass to Jack Peterson to bring the ball down to the two-yard line. Michael Lester punched it in from there. The extra point by Noah Weintraub put the Wolves up 7-0.

Mount Si took over after the kickoff at their own 33. The Wildcats then began to assert their dominance in the run game, promptly taking the ball all the way down to the Eastlake 10-yard line. A first down stop by Hayden Veal briefly gave the Wolves hope. Mount Si eventually punched it in for the touchdown. After the two-point conversion attempt was no good, the Wolves were holding on to a 7-6 lead.

Parker Barrysmith returned the kickoff to the Eastlake 32-yard line. The Wolves began to move the ball again on offense as Griffin Miller caught a key third down catch to move the chains. A series of miscues including a holding penalty and a Mount Si sack and fumble led to the Wildcats taking over at the Eastlake 37-yard line.

The Wildcats took to the air attempting a long pass play to the endzone that was broken up by Ike Schneidler. The Wildcats then took another shot at the endzone scoring their second touchdown. They Wildcats again went for the two-point conversion. The pass attempt was broken up by Schneidler to make the score Eastlake 7, Mount Si 12.

Eastlake’s offense took the field again and moved the ball with some effectiveness. A first down wheel route to Michael Lester brought the ball down to the Mount Si 43. The drive stalled there with the Wolves eventually tuning the ball over the Mount Si after failing to convert on a fourth down.

The Wildcats didn’t waste any time scoring their third touchdown on a 40-yard pass play. The two-point conversion was good with the score now 20-7.

The offense went back to work at their own 18-yard line as time was running out in the first half. Barrysmith threw a perfect strike to Schneidler to bring the ball to the Mount Si 48-yard line. Another pass to Schneidler brought the ball to the 32-yard line as Eastlake called timeout. With enough time for one play before halftime the Wolves went into their bag of tricks. With four seconds left of the clock Barrysmith found a wide-open Scott Maule at about the 20-yard line. After making the catch Maule then pitched to ball to Michael Lester who was streaking down the right sideline. Lester did the rest himself scoring Eastlake’s second touchdown as time expired in the first half. The hook and ladder play and extra point by Weintraub made the score at halftime Eastlake 14, Mount Si 20.

The second half turned into a defensive battle as the rain and wind continued. Mount Si was able to punch another touchdown in to make the score Eastlake 14, Mount Si 27. Eastlake was able to move the ball on offense with quarterback Michael Kistner hooking up with Will Eaton on a couple of occasions through the air, although the Wolves were not able to take advantage.

After a fantastic goal line stand which saw the Wolves stop Mount Si from scoring after having the ball first and goal within the five-yard line, the offense had one last chance to bring the Wolves back. A spirited drive that included catches by Nathaneal Birchfield and Will Eaton was stopped by a Mount Si interception. The Wildcats were able to run out the clock to preserve the 27-14 victory over the Wolves.

Mount Si Wildcats - 27

Eastlake Wolves – 14

Tag(s): Home  News  Resources