skip navigation

JV Wolves Defeat Newport Knights 44 to 32

10/21/2016, 3:45pm PDT
By P. Tornquist

The night the lights went out on the Knights. . .

Photos courtesy of Simon Puttick.

Newport High School was soundly defeated by the Wolves Varsity three days before our JV game.  The JV game began in a similar, lopsided fashion.  On each of our first three drives of the game, and throughout the first quarter, Eastlake drove to a touchdown:  First on a screen pass from Connor Brown to Andrew Plummer, then on a pass from Brown to Reed Payne, then a run by Plummer after he dragged the Knights’ defenders several yards downfield.

But in the second quarter, when it seemed like EHS would walk away with the game, Newport found their footing.  A long pass and TD run put Newport on the scoreboard, with 22 / 8, Eastlake in the lead. 

For most of the rest of the 2nd quarter, the ball went back and forth between EHS and NHS with no scoring.  But in the last drive of the half with short time remaining, QB Brown ran a 31 yard keeper, then completed passes to Vini Monteiro, Jack Rud, & Payne.  A final pass to Rud in the end zone as the buzzer sounded brought the score to 28 / 8. Eastlake.

Newport continued to battle Eastlake’s dominance in the second half.  It began with a long kickoff return by Newport, stopped by Max Burns.  But this put Newport in position to drive for a TD and then 2 pts, bringing the score to 28 / 16. 

Newport’s attempt to do an onside kick was foiled by Tae’Shaun Finley.  Eastlake began a drive that ended with a TD pass to Zach Kennedy, then 2 pt. conversion pass to Kennedy, bringing the score to 36 / 16.

 The 3rd quarter ended with Dalton Chandler in as QB, running the ball for two first downs.  But a series of fouls backed EHS up to a position of 3rd down and 28 yards.  Chandler completed a pass to Michael Puttick, then a TD pass to Taige Thornton bringing the score to 44 / 16, Eastlake.

The 4th quarter saw EHS and NHS ending their short drives with punts, on downs, and with a Newport fumble recovered by Cameron Knutson.  When EHS turned the ball back to NHS on downs, the Knights took advantage of a blown coverage, and completed a pass play for 90 yards and a touchdown.  The score was now 44 / 24. 

After Eastlake again turned the ball over on downs with 55 seconds remaining in the game, Newport completed two passes, and on the 2nd scored, bringing the score to 44 / 32. 

The clock wound down with a win for Eastlake, but after a slow start, Newport made a game of it.  The Wolves defense proved to be the difference in a high scoring, entertaining game, containing Newport until the issue was no longer in doubt.

Tag(s): Home  News  Resources