skip navigation

Eastlake JV Fall Just Short in Rainy Battle Against Mt Si

10/05/2018, 9:00am PDT
By Kristin Coomes

The Wolves JV played a close one against Mt Si but came up short in their first loss of the season, 26-21.

It was a wet and soggy game Monday night for the Eastlake Wolves and Mt Si Wildcats. The much-anticipated game started with a Mt Si kickoff for no return. The Wolves were aggressive out of the gate and after a quick 1st down run by Nick Robbins, Jackson Proctor took it to the house with a 60-yard run down the sideline. Noah Weintraub came in for the PAT and the Wolves took a quick 7-0 lead to start the game. Mt Si started out strong as well on their first possession, but the defense tightened up and the Mt Si drive stalled in Wolves territory forcing them to punt. The Wolves fell short in their next drive and after a near sack on the punt attempt Proctor was able to scramble out of it and keep the drive alive with a 1st down. Despite Robbins gaining yards on the ground to continue the drive, Eastlake fell short and turned the ball over on downs to end the 1st quarter.

Mt Si started the 2nd quarter with a big 4th down conversion which spurred a long drive for a TD and a tie game. The Wolves came right back when Proctor scrambled out of a broken play and once again ran 72 yards for the long TD. Eastlake took the lead again after a perfect PAT kick by Weintraub making the score 14-7. The Wolves took over and the Eastlake momentum continued with a huge sack by Hunter Snyder to pin the Wildcats deep into their own territory. Unfortunately, it didn’t last, and Mt Si hit a deep pass and quickly scored. The Wolves came up big and blocked the PAT keeping a slight lead, 14-13. Mt Si caught Eastlake off guard on the kickoff and recovered the onside kick giving them great field position. The Wolves defense held strong and stopped them on 4th down getting the ball back with time left in the 2nd. The Wolves fed Robbins the ball for good yardage and benefited from a Mt Si personal foul but were unable to score after an interception to wind down the 2nd quarter.

The rain continued to fall to start the 2nd half with Mt Si taking over from their 25-yard line. They wasted no time marching down the field with a strong passing attack and found themselves in the end zone with just minutes off the clock. Mt Si tried for a 2pt conversion, but the Wolves held tough and the Wildcats settled for 6 and the lead, 19-14. Joey Grzetic took the kickoff to the 30-yard line giving the offense a good start. Proctor hit Carson Seelig for consecutive screens and 1st downs putting the Wolves into Mt Si territory. The screens setup a perfect play down the sideline but the Mt Si DB made a great play on Proctors pass and intercepted the ball in the end zone. The 3rd quarter ended with Mt Si driving on a long 3rd down conversion.

The game would come down to the 4th quarter in this one with Mt Si driving into Wolves territory. Hunter Snyder came up big at the goal line with a Mt Si forced fumble and recovery. The Wolves drove the field but stalled at the 45 of Mt Si and turned the ball over on downs. Mt Si, on a QB keeper, scored the very next play making it 26-14. Eastlake wasn’t giving up as Cooper Williams

took the kickoff return to the 50-yard line. Proctor hit Jack Miller for consecutive long passes and a TD with just seconds left on the clock. The Wildcats wound down the clock and ended up winning the game, 26-21.

Upcoming Game: The JV Wolves will travel to Skyline for their next game on October 8th at 6:30 pm. Please come out and show your pride.

Big thanks to Chad Greene for capturing all the great game photos.

Tag(s): Home